Tuesday 9 July 2013

Sections 1 & 2 Woolwich to Grove Park 29th April 2013



On 29th April 2013 I finally got round to starting the Capital Ring Walk.I decided to do two sections at a time as they are only short. I left home to travel to Woolwich Arsenal Station arriving by Docklands Light Railway.I walk down from the Station to the Gateway to The Woolwich Arsenal complex.






Ordnance stores were first set up at the dockyard at Woolwich in the 16th century under a directive of Henry VIII. The Royal Naval dockyard was established in 1512 here and the Royal Arsenal in 1545. In 1886 some workers at The Royal Arsenal formed a football club first known as Dial Square,then Royal Arsenal and in 1913 moved to Highbury now known as Arsenal.







I now follow the Thames path towards The Woolwich Free Ferry.The three ferries in use today were built in 1963 and the current terminals were opened in 1965.The current three vessels were each named after prominent local politicians: John Burns, Ernest Bevin and James Newman. A charge was applied until 1889 when pressure from local residents resulted in the charge being dropped and has been free since.





I now pass a gun drill battery, where the canons still point out over the Thames. This area for 400 years was the area of The Royal Dockyard.





Now there are views down to The Thames Barrier,The O2,Canary Wharf,and the Emirate Airline cable cars over the river.The Thames Barrier is one of the largest movable flood barriers in the world and was first used in 1982.




I now weave through the Henry Wharf housing estate and out onto the busy A206.



After a while I thankfully cross the A206 and leave it behind to enter Maryon Wilson Park. Part of the former Maryon Wilson family estate, this beautifully landscaped park contains both informal open grassland and woodlands – all in a valley setting. Maryon Wilson Park has an animal park with ducks, geese, chickens, goats, pigs, and even a deer enclosure.
 Maryon Wilson takes it name from The Maryon Wilson family who lived at Charlton House.

So many signs but which way?



I turn left up the path, past playgrounds and tennis courts and up some steep steps up the hill,all 115 of them.I cross Thorntree road and back into the Park. The path now descends steeply past the children’s zoo.







I now leave the park and out on Charlton Park Road and after walking down a bit I enter Charlton Park. Ahead is Charlton House,one of Londons best example of a Jacobean building.Built in 1612 for Sir Adam Newton,tutor to Prince Henry son of King James I.




I now double back and out onto some more road walking into Hornfair park and past a BMX track.I exit through a barrier and out a road by Queen Elizabeth Hospital. I cross the road and stride onto Woolwich Common.Woolwich Common is an area of military land.




Ahead are views up to Shooters Hill.During the 18th and 19th Century the common was used by the military,before going overseas they would, camp here before going to Woolwich Arsenal to collect the weapons and then embark on ships moored on The Thames.
A red brick water Tower



Now I exit the common and walk along the road to a set of traffic lights,here I cross opposite the police station and look down the hill into London and the London eye.Shooters Hill summit is at 432 feet and one of the highest points in London.
I cross onto Eltham Common and up a steep hill through some woods.




At the top I turn right and walk up to Severndroog Castle at 404 feet the highest point on the Capital Rings walk.



It was built to commemorate Commodore Sir William James after his death in 1784,as instructed by his widow.A Grade II* listed building, the Gothic-style castle is 63 feet high and triangular in section, with a hexagonal turret at each corner. Ahead I see more wild Parakeets that have colonized London’s suburbs.

I walk down some steps behind the castle and across a terrace,formerly the rose garden of Castlewood house which once stood here from the 1870s to the 1920s.




I walk past more evidence of the Castlewood house.



 
I walk through more woodland before emerging onto Oxleas Meadows. I walk up to the cafe at the top of the hill for a cup of tea and carrot cake,whilst taking in views across South East London and The North Downs.






I walk down into Oxleas Woods.




I cross at the pedestrian lights and into Eltham Park North.I follow a tree lined path alongside a golf club up to a road.This is the end of section 1,I continue onto section 2.





I turn onto Glenesk road and down to the end crossing the A210 Bexley Road and down Butterfly Lane.


I bear right onto Conduit meadows and I walk up to Conduit head where a brick built Grade II listed building.This once housed sluices to control the flow of water from springs used to supply Eltham Palace with water.




I exit out onto Southend Crescent up to Holy Trinity Church and contains the Gallipoli Chapel a memorial to those that died in World War I in the battle of that name.





I cross at the roundabout and do some more road walking past some very expensive looking properties.



I now approach Eltham Palace,managed by The National Trust.



The original palace was given to Edward II in 1305 by the Bishop of Durham. n 1933, Stephen Courtauld and his wife Virginia Courtauld (née Peirano) acquired the lease of the palace site and restored the Great Hall (adding a minstrels’ gallery to it) while building an elaborate home, internally in the Art Deco style.













Eltham Palace is listed on English Heritage‘s list of “most haunted places.” The ghost of a former staff member is said to have given tours of the palace when the palace should have been empty.





I walk along King Johns Walk and past some fields of horses.







There are views back into London from here.





I cross the railway by a footbridge and cross the A20, I follow a path and emerge onto a road and past Mottingham farm. This was the home of Farmer Brown who lived here at the turn of the 20th century and lived to a ripe old age of 102 on a diet of Whisky,ale,steak and cigars.

I pass Eltham College.Former pupils were Eric Lidell from the  Chariots of fire film.


I exit out onto Marvels lane and past the Marvels Lane clinic.





After some road walking I arrive at Grove Park Train Station for my journey home.Total mileage for the day 11 miles.





















No comments:

Post a Comment